When selling a used cell phone or tablet, it is important to know the fair value price of your device. This simply means that you want to determine what your device is worth on the buyers market and how much cash someone is willing to give you in exchange.
Buying and selling used cell phones is almost like a game. As a seller, you want to sell your mobile device for as much cash as you can. And on the other side of the transaction, the buyer wants to buy your mobile device for as little as possible. In order for a deal to be completed, both sides will have to meet somewhere in the middle.
In many of my other articles, I have recommended watching Ebay auctions that match your device as closely as possible that are scheduled to end within a few minutes so you can get an idea of how much money buyers are willing to pay. The advantage of using this technique is that it will give you an up to date valuation of your phone. Because the value of electronic devices can be volatile with the wireless technology market, it is important to know what your device is worth today. It may have been worth a lot more or less just a month ago.
Recently, I have found a new technique to determine the fair value price of a mobile device. In fact, just like the other Ebay technique I use, this one will also work for anything that you are selling. I’m very surprised I never knew about this earlier, because it’s much easier and quicker than monitoring auctions that are close to ending.
- Go to the ebay.com homepage.
- Click “advanced” next to the search button.
- On the advanced search page, fill out the following fields:
- Enter keywords or item number – type the name of your device. Include all specs of your phone. For example, instead of using “droid maxx” use “motorola droid maxx verizon”. If your phone is available in different colors or hard drive sizes, include those details as well. The key is to try to match the description as closely to your phone as possible.
- In this category – If you are selling your cell phone, select “cell phones & accessories”. If you are selling a mobile tablet, select “computers/tablets & accessories”.
- Search including – Only check “sold listings”. This will make sure that Ebay will show you other phones just like yours and how much they sold for.
- Condition – Select the condition of your phone. Obviously if your phone is used you won’t want to value it as a brand new device.
After you have filled out your parameters, simply click search. The next page will show all of the results which should be a list of all the phones just like yours that have been sold on Ebay. At the top of the page, choose to sort by “End Date: Recent First”. Now you will be able to see phones that recently sold and how much they sold for. This will give you an idea of what people are willing to pay for your phone. Browse through a few of the listings to see which ones match your device’s condition the most.
Once you figure out a price, you’re ready to list your phone for sale. If you’re selling on Craigslist, I usually take the price that I found on Ebay and increase it by about $20-$50. This way, if someone wants to negotiate, I can still sell it at the fair value price.